Thursday, March 10, 2011

Guilty Pleasures


When thinking about “Guilty Pleasures”, many thoughts come to mind. Depending on you and your beliefs, anything can be considered a “Guilty Pleasure”. My “Guilty Pleasure” is really not that guilty. My “Guilty Pleasure” is that I listen to the Blues. Now many of you may wonder how that makes me feel “guilty”. Here is what you probably don't know about me. I am only 18 years old and the majority of my generation becomes confused when you mention B.B. King.


All throughout my childhood I felt like an outcast. Very seldom did I meet someone who listened to my music. It was very awkward when someone would try to talk to me about the latest “Snoop Dogg” or “Nelly” rap song. When people would make references to “Soulja Boy”, I thought they were making a military reference. In fact, I usually nodded my head and acted as if I knew what they were talking about. Eventually I broke out of my shell, but I still keep it a secret. You could say that I am hiding in the “Blues Closet”.


If anyone watches me with secret surveillance cameras, then they know that one of my favorite songs is “Wang Dang Doodle” by Koko Taylor. As much as I love that song, I am too embarrassed to even mention the title to my friends. I fear that they may laugh me out out of the room just by the name of the song. Even though one of my life motto's is to “Walk to the beat of your own drum”, I prefer to do it quietly. One day, I will proudly tell someone that I don't listen to Rap and Hip Hop Music. Hopefully they will not frown down on me. But then again, who cares, I will listen to what I want to listen to. If they don't accept it then too bad.

No comments: